From September 15 to October 15, Tiny Desk celebrates Hispanic Heritage Month with an “El Tiny” cover of the concert series (at home), featuring J Balvin, Camila Cabello and several other musicians from all over Latinidad .
After years of working on the world stage, Prince Royce returns home to claim his rightful throne in this Tiny Desk concert (home). Performing his entire “El Tiny” set live from an unpretentious salon chair in the Bronx, the Dominican-American superstar dazzles in this homecoming performance with the unguarded swagger characteristic of a true rey of the gente.
Prince Royce instantly grabs ears and hearts with a breathtaking performance of “Corazón Sin Cara”. Leading with a buttery voice and easy electric guitar riffs, he serves up sweet verses with the kind of suave appeal that would leave any viewer wanting to be a bachata princess. Going from track to track with a sweet note of cultura representation, he dives directly into more traditional bachata rhythms in a performance from his recent album “Carita de Inocente”.
The barber shop is where the prince discovered the building blocks to create an empire of a people and culture who feel right at home. In an intimate moment between songs, Prince Royce shares that this was where he would go to hear what people were listening to on the streets – bachata, merengue, mambo. Its New York Dominican sound feels natural in space.
“Porque me recuerda a put inicios (because it reminds me of my beginnings)”, he says of his choice on stage.
From there, he delivers “Lao o Lao”, a passionate song about the voluntary abandonment of sumptuous objects for love. He ends the show with a performance of a tropical and inherited choice “Darte un Beso”.
Prince Royce’s “El Tiny” concert makes it easy to imagine a curly-haired child sitting in that same silla, too big for him, dreaming of a day when the chair would fit perfectly and he could come back to his barrio and own the seat as a royalty.
- “Corazón Sin Cara”
- “Carita de Inocent”
- “Lao ‘a Lao'”
- “Darte Un Beso”
- Prince Royce: vocals
- Christopher Mercedes: bass
- Gio Williams: guitar
- Johan Beltre: keyboard
- Otoniel Vargas: drums
- Christopher Vegazo: güira
- Wellington Flores: bongos
- Brisila Barros: vocals
- Video: Javier Cañizales, Daniel Eguren, Gaby Herrera
- Audio: José “Sapo” Gonzalez, Javier Delgado, Joe Lizano
- Musical Director: Christopher Mercedes
- Executive Producers: Mayte Calzacorta, Gaby Herrera
- Production manager: William Cortés
- Assistant director: Rafael Yanez
- Artistic department: Natacha Casafus
- Artistic direction: Daniel Eguren, Gaby Herrera
- Position supervision: Pimpi Castro
SMALL OFFICE TEAM
- Producers: Anamaria Sayre, Bobby Carter
- Video producer: Maia Stern
- Audio mastering: Josh Rogosin
- Alt.Latino ‘El Tiny’ team: Felix Contreras, Reanna Cruz, Anaïs Laurent, Stefanie Fernandez
- Small production team: Bob Boilen, Kara Frame, Sofie Hernandez-Simeonidis
- Executive Producer: Keith Jenkins
- Senior Vice President, Programming: Anya Grundmann